Breeders in Kent

All other topics relating to rat care which have not been covered above
Karen85

Breeders in Kent

Post by Karen85 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:28 am

Hi,

My 12 year old daughter has wanted a pet for a long time. Her first choice was a dog but I've said it wouldn't be fair as we are out of the house alot during the day so she has finally settled on rats. She has been really responsible and has done alot of research into how to care for them, feeding, cage size, general care etc and making alot of notes in her "rat book". She is in the process of making me bankrupt by doing every chore she can think of in order to buy everything she needs (part of the agreement to her having them is proving she can be responsible and is willing to work to earn the pocket money and save for initial set up and then ongoing expenses for food etc. Obviously I am prepared to top it up if required to ensure the rats are well cared for)

She still has a few months of saving ahead of her until she will have everything she needs but we are struggling to find any breeders local to us. Does anyone have any recommendations for any breeders near South East Kent? Also, what sort of price can she expect to pay for them from a breeder?

She would like two boys (I'm toying with the idea of three as after alot of reading I think that may be better for them. Perhaps someone could confirm if I'm correct?). I have a bit of an issue with the darker coloured varieties (too many problems with wild rats and mice in previous houses) and she quite likes the look of blue dumbos so think that's what we'll go for if we can find someone breeding them fairly locally. I refuse to get them from somewhere like pets at home and after all her research she's not happy with the way they keep them either.

Many thanks in advance.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Breeders in Kent

Post by cyber ratty » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:35 pm

It's very good that she's working hard on the planning. :) I agree, a trio is better for the rats, and not any extra work for the owner, just more fun. :luck:

There is a list of breeders to consider here, but rats travel well so don't worry if there isn't one on your doorstep, and the more specific you are on variety, the further you'll need to travel.

I would suggest Ellie Goddard (Shatterlings Stud) in Hastings because she'll have blue dumbos.

Best of luck. :D

Karen85

Post by Karen85 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:55 pm

Hi Mary,

Thanks for your reply. She's still saving and getting closer to her target so I will contact Ellie in a month or two.

Caza66

Post by Caza66 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:42 am

I would make the initial contact sooner rather than later. There is no guarantee when there will be litters available so best to find out. Good luck.
My current gang :hearts: Drax, Rocket, Groot, Star-lord, Yondu, Neb
:rattyrainbow: To all those who have filled my heart, have fun at the bridge.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:26 pm

Yes I agree, better to join a waiting list sooner rather than later, and Ellie may be able to guide you in specific areas of your planning. :luck:

(There's nothing worse than having to tell a family who've only just got in touch thinking they've got everything ready, that a) they've bought an unsuitable cage, and/or b) they've just missed out on kittens and will have to wait another 6 months :( )

Return to “Other care”