Poorly 14 week old rat

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
Bubbs_1987

Poorly 14 week old rat

Post by Bubbs_1987 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:53 am

Hi, I have a poorly 14 week old rat. I noticed a couple of weeks ago that his breathing was laboured and he was making a clicking noise. He was also off his food and hunched up in the corner of the cage. I immediately took him to the vet who said that he possibly has the early stages of bronchitis. He prescribed antibiotics and metacam.

Needless to say that trying to get my little soldier to take the medication has been nothing short of impossible. I have tried to mix it with his favourite food but no luck. I have tried to syringe it into his mouth but I can't get him to stay still and it often just ends up on his fur. In the last couple of days I've started syringing it onto my finger and wiping it on his mouth in the hope that some of it goes in. I am now running out of the medication and there is no improvement....possibly because he has barely taken it. But there has also been no deterioration. Although I am concerned that he has lost a little weight.

I don't want to take him back to the vet to get more medication that he won't take. But equally I don't want him to have nothing. I read somewhere about 'fish mox' often being used to treat respiratory illnesses in rats. Has anyone ever used this & if so did it work and where can I get it from?

Many thanks.

ScissorCrow

Re: Poorly 14 week old rat

Post by ScissorCrow » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:12 pm

Can you copy from the prescription label what he is taking at what dose? Ie "baytril 2.5% 0.2ml twice a day". Would be helpful if you knew his weight too, just to check the dosage.

I used to struggle to get mine to take meds then I found this method that hasn't let me down yet :luck: Break a small piece of plain biscuit, I use Rich Tea, about finger nail size and add a few drops of water to make it a little soggy then add the medicine and give to your rat - they will either eat it off the plate or pick it up and eat it.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Poorly 14 week old rat

Post by cyber ratty » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:37 pm

There is a chance it could be parasitic bronchitis, so it's worth applying some ivermectin.

Return to “Health”