Porphyrin around eye?

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
Rat Qween

Porphyrin around eye?

Post by Rat Qween » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:11 pm

Hello this is my first post on this forum, I need some advice on my rat Bijou. She’s been on metacam and antibiotics twice for her mild respiratory infection which flares up occasionally. For the past few days I noticed porphyrin around her right eye a couple of times and she sometimes closes it half way. I can’t see any scratches, damage or swelling to the eye so I’m fairly certain it’s not blood but she looks very uncomfortable when squinting, as if her eye is bothering her. Is this something to worry about or is it just a type of flare up from her respiratory problems or is there another cause? If it worsens I’ll of course take her to the vets but I don’t have a lot of money to fork out at the moment and if it’s common or nothing serious to worry about I’d rather save the time and money and just continue with her course of antibiotics.

Thank you in advance!

[cub]

Re: Porphyrin around eye?

Post by [cub] » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:16 pm

Have a sniff of the eye and compare it to the other eye; I've had a case in the past where excessive porphyrin in one eye was actually due to an infection, and the smell was diagnostic. Most of the time it's just a slightly blocked duct or something similar, and if she's under the weather she's likely to be producing more porphyrin than usual.
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn, Din, and Zephyr Mick Jagger (Edgeworth).
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Donovan (Phoenix) the big dope, Xeltan, Lita (NLA32), Lia (NLA28), Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28), Falere (NLA36), Mirala (NLA36), Zephyr Opold, and Rila.

Rat Qween

Post by Rat Qween » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:21 pm

Thanks for the quick reply!
I’ve had a sniff and both seem to smell fine, I’ll continue to keep an eye on her but if it’s not an emergency that’s all I’m worried about, neither of the girls have had any around their eyes so it was quite sudden and unexpected!

mothernaturesson

Post by mothernaturesson » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:47 pm

Just to say one of my pet rats arthur has always had a porph eye for some reason, i just wipe it with water sometimes. his eye is fine on inspection and his vet has never been worried about it :girly:

Return to “Health”