feeding + supplementing

Topics on mixes, tailored diets, foods, supplements, methods, and problem eaters
oowie

feeding + supplementing

Post by oowie » Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:23 pm

Hi all,

I wil get my babyboys in a couple days. I had already bought some Science selective for them, because the breeder is also feeding this food.
I have just ordered the ratrations nr 9 mix for them and some dailyrat3.
Want to mix the SS with the RRmix and supplement with daily rat3.

If they eat it, they will also get a fresh meal with veggies, some cooked grains and some protein daily, to mix the DR3 in.

the SS already has some vitamins in it. I was thinking about mixen 25% SS with 75% RRmix.
how much and how often should i give DR3?

this is SS:
vitamin A: 20.000 IE/kg
Vitamin D3: 2000 IE/kg
iron: 50mg/kg
Iodine: 1,5mg/kg
Copper 7,5mg/kg

when the SS is mixed it will make 25% of the mix, so the vitamins per kg food will be: 5000 vit A, 500 vit D3, 12,5mg iron, 1,9mg copper.
formerly izi

[cub]

Re: feeding + supplementing

Post by [cub] » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:21 pm

I don't know an awful lot about feeding young rats but I'd be inclined to supplement them more than I would an adult given how quickly they're growing. I'd be inclined to give them at least 5 doses of DR3 per week each, though you can combine doses to make things easier for you. (For example, you could give 2 doses at a time per rat, 3 times a week. That makes 6 doses total per rat, but only 3 fresh meals needed per week.)
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn (NLA28).
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Mick Jagger (Edgeworth) the big lump, Din (NLA28), Zephyr Donovan (Phoenix), Xeltan, Lita (NLA32), Lia (NLA28), Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28), Falere (NLA36), Mirala (NLA36), Zephyr Opold, and Rila.

oowie

Post by oowie » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:00 pm

How much is one daily dose for one rat? Is there a messuringspoon included?
formerly izi

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:47 pm

0.2g and yes.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Mick Jagger (Edgeworth) the big lump, Din (NLA28), Zephyr Donovan (Phoenix), Xeltan, Lita (NLA32), Lia (NLA28), Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28), Falere (NLA36), Mirala (NLA36), Zephyr Opold, and Rila.

oowie

Post by oowie » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:56 pm

Ok thanks! Can i switch them to the new food mix direct after moving, or is it better to feed the SS at first,and ad the mix slowly so they can get used to it?
They are on SS at the breeder now...
formerly izi

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:11 pm

You can just switch them straight over to their new mix. Rats don't need to be slowly adjusted to a new dry mix; their digestive systems are pretty good at coping with variations in their diet. The one thing they do benefit from slow adjustment to is significant changes in the amount of fresh food they get, but the worst that happens if you give them a lot when they're not used to it is they get smeary poos for a few days. (And that's more of a problem for the poo-shoveller than the rat. :P )

oowie

Post by oowie » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:29 am

Oh no.... i have ordered way to much food. 2 bags instead of 1. Total of 6kg food for only two rats....will last me for ages!
How can i store this and keep it fresh for all these months, without growing bugs in it?
Airtight container in the garage good enough? Or freezing?
How long do you think my 2 boys will do with this large food amount?
formerly izi

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:20 pm

I'd suggest freezing the bags for a few days at least, up to a week, in order to kill any bugs or eggs that might be lurking in them. You may need to do this a bit at a time, depending on how much freezer space you have. After the food has been suitably frozen, it can be defrosted, and should be fine kept in an airtight container somewhere cool and dark, so a garage sounds perfect. Just make sure the container is gnaw-proof so you don't attract any unwanted rodents!

6kg should do your boys about 6 months, depending on how much they eat, which does vary a lot from rat to rat.

oowie

Post by oowie » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:33 am

My ratrations order arrived. They love the nr 9 mix. I mix 20% science selective in it. I am still looking how much to feed.
I feed 30gr dryfood and about 15gr fresh food daily for 2 rats, 6 weeks old.
They are growing very well.
I do not understand the instructions on DR3. It says 1 scoop is for 3 rats. But is 1 scoop a daily dose for 3 rats? Or sould this be used 3 times a week for 3 rats? How much should i give 2?
formerly izi

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:50 am

Yes, 1 slightly heaped scoop of DR3 is meant to be a daily dose for 3 rats, i.e. 3 daily doses in total. (Whether or not you actually need to feed it daily depends on what else you're feeding, of course.) Basically, a day's dose for 1 rat is meant to be 0.2g, and a full level scoop is about 0.5g, so if it's full and slightly heaped on top that's about 0.6g, which is 3 doses worth.

If it's easiest for you to just measure out the DR3 in full scoops, instead of trying to eyeball 2/3 of a scoop, then I'd suggest doing 1 full scoop between 2 rats, 3-4 times a week. At 6 weeks old, they'll benefit from regular top-ups of higher-protein foods like eggs or fish or chicken, so you could just mix their DR3 in with a little bit of something like that. I know RR No. 9 is already formulated as a higher protein diet for kittens, but I don't think anyone would object to a nice bit of scrambled egg as well. :lol:

oowie

Post by oowie » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:34 pm

Thank you. I feed them cooked chicken or egg from my hand,so i know for sure that both are getting their part.
The fresh meal is made of cooked brown rice or buckwheat, with some egg and veggies and maybe some cocinut or olive oil. They love it.

Yesterday evening i fed them 30gr dryfood, only a little was left in the morning. I then gave them their chicken and after that a fresh meal from cooked brown rice,egg,kale,carrot,peas and DR3.
They ate it all and have the rest of the left over dry food to snack from during the day.
Thet seem to be sleeping most if the time. Still young and growing fast. They both had full rounded bellies.
Is this a good feeding routine?
formerly izi

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:53 pm

Yep, that seems fine. I'm not the best judge of body condition in very young rats, but you may wish to scale back the amount of cooked carbs and egg/chicken in a month or so, once their growth rate slows down, so they don't get too round. :lol:

oowie

Post by oowie » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:02 am

In the evening i feed 30gr RR mix. This is what is left in the morning. Is this enough for them to snack on during the day? Or are this just empty husks?
I first feed them a fresh meal in the morning, so they are full.

formerly izi

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:05 am

I'm sorry, that picture is coming up as a black rectangle for me.

oowie

Post by oowie » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:17 am

Oooh i see... the picture does not show. Will try on the computer later.
I think i have to cut down on their food.the both have very round firm bellies. Since last thursday the have grown a lot. Don't want them to grow too fast and too fat.
Think i change the cooked food to only veggies and feed leas drymix, about 15gr twice a day, instead of 30gr in the evening and another spoon in the morning. They keep eating.
Or maybe just feed 30gr dryfood in the evening, so they can finish the leftovers during the day.? I will feed them fresh veggies in the morning too, so they can eat that during the day.
How much is too much for growing rats? 6 weeks old and 130gr now....
formerly izi

Return to “Feeding”