Hiding

Topics on behaviour, taming, companionship, introductions, and training
oowie

Hiding

Post by oowie » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:41 am

My two new rats arived last wednesday. They are sitting behind the corner toilet all the time. Come out to eat or drink some and run back with the food to eat and hide again.
I have to lift up the toilet to get to them. This makes them more nervous.
They are not afraid of me. I can pick them up and they are calm and curious. I can feed them some chicken or egg out of my hand.
One of them is coming out of the hiding place from time to time to wonder around in the cage, but he never goes to relax in the hammocks.just wonder around and go back behind the toilet.the onder ones is even more shy.
The are active and eating at night. I see it in the morning and i have been taking a look on them at night.
I think they are not used to dogs. We have a small dog.he is quiet and relaxed around them,but curious about them.
Their cage is on a cabinet.he cannot get to them.
but for now,to get them settled,we take the dog upstairs with us instead of letting him sleep in the living room.
Should i take the hiding places out?that means taking the toilets out..... i don't use loose substrate at the moment to get them potty trained,only some litter in the toilets.
What can i use instead of the high corner toilets that they cannot hide behind?
formerly izi

[cub]

Re: Hiding

Post by [cub] » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:41 pm

Yep, take out the corner toilet and any other possible hiding spots. Make sure the cage layout has enough stuff in it that they don't feel too exposed, just don't let them have anything enclosed for now.

Use loose substrate across the entire base, and let them toilet where they want. I wouldn't worry about toilet training until they're more settled and confident: moving house, gaining a new human carer, and a d-o-g as a housemate is already a lot to take in. I've found that my rats naturally gravitate towards toileting in particular corners anyway, so rather than putting a toilet where I want it and training them to use it, I let them show me where they think the toilet should be and then put one there.
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn (NLA28).
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Mick Jagger (Edgeworth) the big lump, Din (NLA28), Zephyr Donovan (Phoenix), Xeltan, Lita (NLA32), Lia (NLA28), Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28), Falere (NLA36), Mirala (NLA36), Zephyr Opold, and Rila.

frodo quin

Post by frodo quin » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:47 pm

How are the newbies doing?

oowie

Post by oowie » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:39 am

thewy are settling in nicely! will try to post a picture later.
formerly izi

Return to “Behaviour”