Critter nation scatter guard

Topics on cages, accessories, layouts, free ranging, and enrichment
oowie

Critter nation scatter guard

Post by oowie » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:23 am

I have CN single level for my rats. I was using fleece or just nothing on the tray and gave them a digging box.
But i don't think the digging box is working very good because it is too small.
I am thinking about buying a scatter guard and use substrate in it, but i read different opinions about the scatter guard on the internet.
Is it working? Does it keep the mess in?
Is it durable?
Can you just take ate the tray with the scatter guard and empty it at once, or should you take the scatter guard off everytime you clean it?

Also,can you still use a cornertoilet attached to the cage bars when the scatter guard is used?
formerly izi

Feolthanos

Re: Critter nation scatter guard

Post by Feolthanos » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:51 am

I don't know about the scatter guards for the CN but if you learn it's not the best then consider putting a cat litter tray inside the cage. Ones designed for cats rather than the cheap kitten trays (that some people attach to the sides of the cage) are quite deep. Otherwise you can get custom trays made up out of plastic/perspex. It's cheaper to get pieces cut and attach together yourself. If your lucky someone will have already worked out the measurements for your cage so if your DIY illiterate like me it becomes a lot easier.

Be aware though that I have a Ventura and with the best will in the world you'll still get the odd bits flying out the cage. . . I've even seen one of my rats purposefully poke bits of food though the bars that he doesn't like to get rid of it :lol:

oowie

Post by oowie » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:12 am

Thanks i have seen options for custommade trays, but not over here. I am from the netherlands.
Maybe i could buy plastic cut to size, the for sides and a bottom, and make a deep tray from that.
But how can this be put togethet safely for the rats?
And it has to be sturdy because i want to be able to take the whole thing out at once.
formerly izi

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:07 pm

Yes, we buy perspex cut to size and make a tray out of it - you can use superglue (I like high viscosity industrial strength!) or a strong wide tape like gorilla tape. :luck:

The thicker the perspex is the stronger the tray but also heavier (and more expensive). I find that 4mm sides and 3mm base works best.

Mine are 15cm deep, and I can still use a normal toilet corner with them, but you could measure your toilet corners and have the sides exactly the right height to clip the corner onto them instead of needing to reach the cage bars.

I don't take it out very often, I sweep up the substrate up within the tray, and don't worry about the bits which get trapped between the tray and the bars, but I can't see the mess because I've stuck vinyl on the outside of the perspex at the back, sides, and bottom. ;)

Return to “Habitat”