Bedding

Topics on cages, accessories, layouts, free ranging, and enrichment
oowie

Bedding

Post by oowie » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:34 am

hi guys,

hope you can give me some advice on bedding.
i cannot get everything around here, so these are the options i have.
at the moment i use back to nature in the toilets. have been thinking about using it on the whole gace floor, but it seems uncomfortable for them.

1.I can buy Aubiose (hemp bedding for horses) over here, but it feels sharp and hard. not sure if it is comfortable for them:
2.I can buy Plospan shavings, should be dustfree and are heat treated, very soft for them. waht about odor control and safety (pine?) https://plospan.com/
3.Another option is something like cotton bedding, it is soft, but it comes with a smell. should be dustfree, but i have seen some dust in it.
don't know about odor control and obsorbant? https://www.drdknaagdierwinkel.nl/en/jo ... smell.html

4.Carefresh? seems soft, but i have read that it isn't dust free and has a smell to it.

if plospan is ok and safe to use, i would love to use it. what do you think about these options? I don't want to order online,and this is what i can buy over here in the stores.
formerly izi

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Bedding

Post by cyber ratty » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:18 am

Plospan should be fine, but don't use the sawdust, the classic says it's dust free so probably best to opt for that, although I prefer large flakes myself.

oowie

Post by oowie » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:40 am

I don't know if it has pine in it. Is that safe when it is treated?
formerly izi

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:12 am

Yes it is safe.

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:03 am

If suitably heat treated pine should be fine. However, the product page for the 'Classic' range says it's available in small bags branded 'Fiberfunny', which optionally comes in lemon or apple scented options. Those scented options are not ideal, but the unscented version should be fine.

As for dust, nothing that's soft enough to use as bedding is dust free. Even if you extract every single last speck of dust from a sack of bedding, the moment any two pieces of bedding rub against each other (or against anything else), little bits will flake off and create more dust. Dust is an inevitability of existence; it's just a question of more or less dust, and also how your particular rats react to particular types of dust. Carefresh is famously dusty, but some rats nevertheless seem to do fine on it. So while I would generally avoid higher dust level substrates just because it's more likely they'll cause problems (and then you'll have a sack of substrate you can't use), I wouldn't stress that much over it.
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn (NLA32); Zephyr Nyahir; Zephyr Zymandis; Zephyr Blasto.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Mick Jagger "Edgeworth"; Din (NLA28); Zephyr Donovan "Phoenix"; Xeltan; Lita (NLA32); Lia (NLA28); Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28); Falere (NLA36); Mirala (NLA36); Zephyr Opold; Rila.

Return to “Habitat”