Biting rat

Topics on behaviour, taming, companionship, introductions, and training
Elly_RatLover

Biting rat

Post by Elly_RatLover » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:18 am

Hi I just got a pair of lovely female rats, one is super lovely and social But the other keeps biting she will run at u and bite or bite if u touch her. We don’t really know what to do as she is drawing blood and we are having to consider rehoming but I don’t want to give up her sister ?

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Biting rat

Post by cyber ratty » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:39 pm

Where did you get them from and when? How old are they? How did they behave when you handled them before buying?

There are a number of reasons why she might be biting:
- she may be cage territorial, in which case you'll need to put a lot of work into bonding with her outside of the cage and then hopefully she will become more relaxed in the cage
- she may not have been handled much, and thinks you're scary, in which case you'll again have to put in some time to bond with her
- it could be that she's pregnant and doesn't want to be handled, in which case double check whether her companion is a boy or a girl (there is a sexing article on the forum)

There are lots of threads in this section discussing methods of bonding in detail, but in very brief terms: remove all hiding places from the cage, get them out for at least 20 mins at a time, contain them inside a loose outer layer of clothing.

It's good that her sister is friendly, but don't rehome the other one as rats need companions, and your lovely one could easily turn into a lonely depressed and possibly scared and bitey rat too.

Elly_RatLover

Post by Elly_RatLover » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:28 am

Hi, thanks for the reply, I got them at Pets At Home when she was 8 weeks old. She seemed to be handled a little roughly and was quite nervous when I first held her. But she is already waiting at the door of the cage to run free. But she will bite if u come near.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:26 pm

When did you get them? And have you checked their sexes? PAH are notorious for mis sexing rats.

Return to “Behaviour”