Best air purifier to get for rats respiratory systems

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
Richard Thornett

Best air purifier to get for rats respiratory systems

Post by Richard Thornett » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:39 am

Hi everyone! I’m brand new to this forum and have never actually properly used a forum before but I’ve just got three beautiful bucks and thought I’d join a Rattie community!
Please let me know of I’m posting in the wrong area etc...

I’m curious about air purifiers and which one to get. I’m getting more paranoid regarding my rats respiratory systems and just want to make sure I’m doing the best I can for them. Does anyone here use air purifiers for their rats’ respiratory systems and if so could you possibly share any info at al on what you use? Types, sizes? It’s a minefield looking them up and I’m so lost in it all.

Thanks so much - really appreciate it!

[cub]

Re: Best air purifier to get for rats respiratory systems

Post by [cub] » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:15 am

I've never used an air purifier myself so I can't advise, unfortunately. I think most people get them for the smell, for their own sake, rather than any health benefit though.

To be honest the most important things for respiratory health is making sure you have a suitable substrate (absorbent and not too dusty), a suitable cage (not a tank), and keeping things relatively clean (but not over-cleaning as that can actually make things worse). The rest is largely genetics and luck; some rats are prone to respiratory issues and will get them no matter what you do. Respiratory issues in rats are predominantly caused by bacteria and their own immune systems; poor air quality (e.g. dusty substrates) can exacerbate problems that are already there, but aren't generally the root cause.
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn (NLA32); Zephyr Nyahir; Zephyr Zymandis; Zephyr Blasto.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Mick Jagger "Edgeworth"; Din (NLA28); Zephyr Donovan "Phoenix"; Xeltan; Lita (NLA32); Lia (NLA28); Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28); Falere (NLA36); Mirala (NLA36); Zephyr Opold; Rila.

Pirate

Post by Pirate » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:42 pm

I have an ElectrIQ CD20L 20 Litre Antibacterial Dehumidifier which has an air purifying setting. I think it's great, but I have only had it whilst I haven't had rats.
Ben

Past: Bebop, Rocksteady, Charlie, Fudge, Zeke, Icarus, Tobias, Bacchus, Hugo, Diego, Tristan, Noah, Isaac, Ace, Spooky, Carlo, Jimbo, Caspian, Rufus.
Present: None at the moment due to space and allergies.

Feolthanos

Post by Feolthanos » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:45 pm

I couldn't tell you if it was the best, but I have a JINPUS Air Purifier. Which is a small compact unit with a low use setting that turns it's self after 8 hours which I like.

It makes little difference to me, but my allergic OH can now spend time in the rat room without sneezing constantly, and it seems to help my youngsters, who have very sensisitive systems.

Got it for less than £30 so very happy for the price.

Little_Lovelies

Post by Little_Lovelies » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:55 pm

I got this unit ~

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/283984906596?c ... gKfa_D_BwE

from Lloyds pharmacy years ago for my hay-fever. Not sure if it or an updated moddel is still available new? It works wonders for me and I have a very respy ratty who's been to the vets tons and will always have background noisiness now. I read in one place only online don't use ionisers around rats as it might dry their airways (I think that's what it said), so I asked my rat-savey vet one day in desperation and she said no guarantees it'll help but she didn't think it'd hurt so give it a try! Now whenever he's having a very noicey day I pop it on near to the cage and he's always an awful lot quieter pretty quickly. I try only to have it on for a few hours just in case it's omitting a high-pitched sound or has any other negative consequence that I'm not aware of, but it seems to help him massively. It cost me £30 and it's been incredible for me, it seems to knock all the pollen, dust and other irritants out of the air like it's supposed to, to the point that if you use it in the small room and keep the door shut, you can smell the difference in the air when you walk it. It's one of the best things I've ever bought and seems to help the little guy too which is just wonderful.

Hope that helps :)

Return to “Health”