what cage am i looking for?

Topics on cages, accessories, layouts, free ranging, and enrichment
Kesjo

what cage am i looking for?

Post by Kesjo » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:18 pm

i have 3 young males, currently living in a ferplast furat kd.
I love the large cage door and the roof that can be opened. I love the size, but it could be a bit bigger.
I have had a lzv in the past, but it is too big for in my room now.
I am looking for a cage max 100x50cm, and preferable on a stand (with wheels).
It needs to have a deep base, so no CN for me.

I have seen a bird cage 60x60cm and living space 140cm high. But i think the floor space is too cramped for 3 (max 4 ) rats and i does not have a deep base.

What cage am i looking for?

[cub]

Re: what cage am i looking for?

Post by [cub] » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:50 am

If you can manage a few cm deeper in the footprint, I've heard good things about the Coco large. Apparently you do need to secure the top a bit to make it fully stable but I've heard that's quite easy and the cage is otherwise good. The wooden accessories it comes with are pee magnets so most people don't use them, but if I had this cage I'd Plastikote the platforms and ramps and then set them aside for the inevitable day when I've got someone with mobility problems: https://www.littlepetwarehouse.co.uk/pr ... x54cm.html

The Mamble is only slightly smaller and another popular choice, but it doesn't seem to have the top opening door like the Coco does. The door latches look like they'd be easily opened by clever rats, but it should be easy to secure them with a clip or lock:
https://www.littlepetwarehouse.co.uk/pr ... -cage.html

Both are very spacious; probably enough room for 6 in one of those. Incidentally, if you ever order anything from that site, the code FANCYRATS should get you a 10% discount at checkout. That's been the case for years so there's no rush but useful to know.

ETA: Neither of those come on a stand but you could potentially put it on top of a front opening storage crate or something. Many people with a lot of rat stuff use something like this: https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/stuva-stuv ... s79311792/
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn (NLA32); Zephyr Nyahir; Zephyr Zymandis; Zephyr Blasto.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Mick Jagger "Edgeworth"; Din (NLA28); Zephyr Donovan "Phoenix"; Xeltan; Lita (NLA32); Lia (NLA28); Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28); Falere (NLA36); Mirala (NLA36); Zephyr Opold; Rila.

Kesjo

Post by Kesjo » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:37 pm

Thanks, will have a look at this cages.
Anybody here with a ferplast furat tower?

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:54 am

I don't use one, but I could put one together if needed (e.g. for a holiday cage). The problem there is that the floorspace is still quite small, especially for a group of adult bucks - it would be fine for your 3, but not once you've added younger rats.

Kesjo

Post by Kesjo » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:07 am

We decided to buy the CN double. We will order some plexiglas sheets to make a pan for the cage.
Does anybody know what the inside cm are ?
Would it also be possible to make pans for the shelves?

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:05 pm

It's probably best to measure it yourself when it arrives; every cage is going to be very slightly different in dimensions due to manufacturing tolerances.

You probably could create trays for the shelves if you wanted, but most people just leave them out entirely.
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn (NLA32); Zephyr Nyahir; Zephyr Zymandis; Zephyr Blasto.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Mick Jagger "Edgeworth"; Din (NLA28); Zephyr Donovan "Phoenix"; Xeltan; Lita (NLA32); Lia (NLA28); Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28); Falere (NLA36); Mirala (NLA36); Zephyr Opold; Rila.

Kesjo

Post by Kesjo » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:07 am

We bought the cn double yesterday and set it up. It is huge, but very beautiful!
For now my 3 boys are living in the upper part. They are together since last weekend and intro went great, but i don't want to go too fast, so they only have a wheel, and 3 flat hammocks, some toys and a bin for digging where i scatter their RR mix. They love it. Now i think i need more rats to fill the cage!

Return to “Habitat”