Scared Girl

Topics on behaviour, taming, companionship, introductions, and training
JoJJ

Scared Girl

Post by JoJJ » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:40 pm

My little girl is temporary alone after her sister was pts on friday in an emergency (vets recommendation possible inner ear or brain infection, very sudden) As Poppy is just turned 1, I have contacted the breeder and looking to get 2 babies in 5 wks to intro 🙂

The immediate difficulty is that Poppy is a timid girl, who before her sister went would occasionally bite, she is territorial and we could previously pick her up and play but now she is just a scared girl in the corner who does not want to be touched. I have gone back to taking yogurt off my finger to keep some interaction, but it is so sad to see her like this, she got her confidence previously from her sister.

I know she is missing her sister, but I desperately want to help her, any ideas welcome.

After my next 2 babies I will always get 3 to prevent loneliness, i am sadly learning the lesson.

Thanks

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Scared Girl

Post by cyber ratty » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:37 am

Remember that the babies won't be old enough to introduce in 5 weeks, so it will be longer. I think the best solution is to keep looking for company sooner, maybe there's another single adult girl needing a friend asap and then you can still introduce the babies when they are old enough. I've recommended this facebook group on your other thread too https://www.facebook.com/groups/RRNUK/

JoJJ

Post by JoJJ » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:45 pm

Thank you, just so desperate to help her. I will see what I can do.

Jo

JoJJ

Post by JoJJ » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:30 pm

Just a quick note to say this has all ended very well :D Poppy was only alone for 4 weeks total, which included a week of intros. My breeder had 2 little 8 week old siamese dumbo girls returned due to a change of circumstances, so I took them on, gave them a week to settle, and introduced them. They have been living together for several weeks and Poppy is so happy being chased around the cage, she really is mum and frequently tells them off, and they all huddle in the hammock in a new bigger cage.

Thanks for the advise and I now have 3 happy girlies :D

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:52 am

Oh good :D

I would aim to add another couple of babies next year to keep your numbers up, a group that fluctuates between 3 and 5 helps guard against anyone being alone. :luck:

Return to “Behaviour”