Lone rat problem advice please!

Topics on behaviour, taming, companionship, introductions, and training
Hanabnana

Lone rat problem advice please!

Post by Hanabnana » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:18 pm

Hi, I'm hoping for some advice please.
I have two 18 month old males. One of them, Grey, has very suddenly become very ill with PT. He's on medication but it's not working and he's going downhill very fast over the last few days. I'm utterly heartbroken but trying to prepare for the inevitable.
I had wanted to get them some cage mates but with lock downs, quarantines and also I can't drive (nor does anyone else in my household) things haven't gone to plan. I haven't been able to find any bucks.
I'm really worried that when Grey dies his brother will be alone and miserable until I can find him a friend. Other than spending as much time with him as possible does anyone have any good ideas to keep a lone rat happy and healthy in the short term please?

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Lone rat problem advice please!

Post by cyber ratty » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:29 pm

Have you tried contacting rescues nearby? They are allowed to deliver animals to new homes. I would recommend you start asking now, it would be better for your remaining rat to already have new friends when it comes to losing his brother.

Hanabnana

Post by Hanabnana » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:01 pm

Thanks for getting back to me. I've tried a few local rescues with no luck unfortunately. Will keep trying. Thanks.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:01 am

What part of the country are you in? I may be able to recommend a breeder to contact.

Hanabnana

Post by Hanabnana » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:39 am

Thanks! I'm in Warwickshire. So far I've contacted Blue Cross, RSPCA, Rattie Angels rattery and the rehoming department at Pets at Home with no luck. Any recommendations would be amazing. I'm not sure where else to look.

Feolthanos

Post by Feolthanos » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:49 pm

Contacting rescues is definitely a good idea. Keep trying as each rescues situation can change daily, but they may not remember that you're on the look out.

I'd also reach out to some local breeders. I'm unsure if a lone rat counts as a welfare issue in the eyes of lockdown law, but you can get yourself on a list if nothing else.

Also pick up foraging toys to kept your boy occupied. Everything from the wire hanging baskets, to treat toys designed for small dogs where they have to move and slide compartments, and the rotating ones for parrots. A lone rat may appreciate an enclosed hide to sleep in too.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:40 am

There is a rat rescue in Northampton that might be worth contacting, NANNA - https://www.facebook.com/groups/261189882549/

Hanabnana

Post by Hanabnana » Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:29 pm

Thank you so much for all your advice and help! Happy to report I've been able to offer a home to 3 boys so mine will have some cage mates to keep him company.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:47 am

Excellent :D

Return to “Behaviour”