Changing eye colour?

All other topics relating to rat care which have not been covered above
Blank_Page

Changing eye colour?

Post by Blank_Page » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:59 am

Hi all,

I've had my boys for 5 weeks and they are 13 weeks old. One of them started out with an agouti strip over his head and down his back and had black eyes. A few weeks ago his back strip turned a beautiful silvery grey. After some research it appeared it might just be him loosing his baby fuzz and changing to his more long term colour. His eyes were still black at this point.

Within the last week it seems his eyes have turned a ruby shade. Is this normal as with a fur colour change or could it be a sign or illness like a porphoryn build up behind his eyes?

Otherwise is it possible he could be a roan rat? Or could he actually be an albino who is gradually changing into his final form?

I'm worried in case any of this is a sign of an underlying health condition, or whether this is just normal. He's still the most energetic of all three of my boys.

Thanks for your help!
Mummy to five gorgeous boys!

Dargo (cream/agouti broken hooded dumbo Rex), Crichton (white/silver silky smooth top eared striped roan)
Rygel (agouti Rex dumbo), Pixel (Siamese dumbo), Levi (Siamese double Rex dumbo)

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Changing eye colour?

Post by cyber ratty » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:24 pm

An albino rat is pure white from the start ;)

It sounds like he is an agouti striped roan. Roans get progressively more white hair in amongst their coloured areas as they age, and some can end up completely white.

Eye colour can be affected by markings, and if the white blaze on his face touches (or even just goes very near to) his eye(s) then the eye pigment is often lightened from black to ruby or from ruby to red. I would have thought that the eyes would start off already lightened, but I haven't got much experience of roans so can't be sure on that. If there is no sign of porphyrin around his eyes or nose, then I expect he is alright.

Blank_Page

Post by Blank_Page » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:20 pm

Thanks for your reply!!

Its so interesting, roans are fascinating. Does that mean at some point he may turn agouti again or just lighten?

As for his eyes, I wonder if they were actually a very dark ruby which appeared black from the start and are just growing lighter? His blaze does go over his eyes so that makes sense they are responding to that.

He does have a little porphyrin around his nose only. Waiting for payday to take him for a vet check up just in case as neither of his brothers have ever had porphyrin appear on them
Mummy to five gorgeous boys!

Dargo (cream/agouti broken hooded dumbo Rex), Crichton (white/silver silky smooth top eared striped roan)
Rygel (agouti Rex dumbo), Pixel (Siamese dumbo), Levi (Siamese double Rex dumbo)

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:27 pm

cyber ratty wrote:Eye colour can be affected by markings, and if the white blaze on his face touches (or even just goes very near to) his eye(s) then the eye pigment is often lightened from black to ruby or from ruby to red. I would have thought that the eyes would start off already lightened, but I haven't got much experience of roans so can't be sure on that.
When the rat's a light coloured roan the eyes are usually lighter to start with as per the 'base' variety in question. But with darker coloured roans who would have dark eyes without the marking thing they usually lighten with age.
Blank_Page wrote:Its so interesting, roans are fascinating. Does that mean at some point he may turn agouti again or just lighten?
Just lighten :)
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

Return to “Other care”