Strange part at end of rat's tail?

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
jstark1372

Strange part at end of rat's tail?

Post by jstark1372 » Thu May 30, 2019 12:28 am

I've noticed over the last month or so that my boy Spangle (around 18 months old) has a kind of weird appearance at the end of his tail. Instead of stopping bluntly, in a kind of rounded point (as I've seen in all other rats), it has a very small spiky part coming out of the end. At first I was worried it was somehow the end of the bone coming out, but I've felt it and it feels more soft and there's 100% not been any injuries to his tail. It doesn't cause him pain when I touch it either. It's just a tiny white spike. Is this normal?

[cub]

Re: Strange part at end of rat's tail?

Post by [cub] » Thu May 30, 2019 11:34 am

If you're reasonably certain it's not a degloved tip (which is unlikely anyway) it's probably just what's sometimes called 'tail nail'. As I understand it, it's a buildup of keratin that some rats get sometimes on their tail tip; some of my rats have it and it's never been a problem.
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn and Zephyr Mick Jagger (Edgeworth).
Fondly remembering: Din the Sith Lord, Zephyr Donovan (Phoenix), Xeltan, Lita (NLA32), Lia (NLA28), Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28), Falere (NLA36), Mirala (NLA36), Zephyr Opold, and Rila.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Strange part at end of rat's tail?

Post by cyber ratty » Fri May 31, 2019 9:07 am

Yes it's odd but not a problem. It's genetic, and can be selected against.

Return to “Health”