Sudden and rapid decline

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
Nathan

Sudden and rapid decline

Post by Nathan » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:44 pm

This happened more than two months ago.

On Thursday evening / Friday my rat fell ill: she suddenly had a slight head tilt and balance issues.

On Friday morning I contacted my local vet, she let me wait all day until she got back to me and then her answer was: "We cannot do anything for her anymore and a CT-scan is necessary."

I did not expect this answer and it threw me off quite a bit.

My answer back was if she could at least prescribe an antibiotic as I initially thought that her ear infection had returned. They let me choose an antibiotic (?) and I unfortunately chose doxycycline.

The next day I contacted them again as I had read more and now suspected that the real cause could be a pituitary tumor. I asked if they could prescribe cabergoline and/or steroids. It was not easy, but I got dexamethasone sodium phosphate 2 mg/ml. They told me to wait one day because I had given Novacam and the dose they prescribed was one drop per day.

On Sunday I have my rat one drop (0.03 - 0.05 ml), but I did not really notice an improvement.

She was significantly worse on Monday and of course I called the best vet for rats I know first thing in the morning. Unfortunately I got an appointment for Tuesday. I decided that one drop of dexamethasone was not helping enough and I raised the dose to 0.1 ml, but by this time she was already having trouble swallowing.

Twelve hours later she was much worse and I upped the dose again.

The next day I gave her one more dose before going to the vet.

She did not need much time to tell me it was best to let her go. I asked if we could try a subcutaneous injection of dexamethasone, but she said that it would only prolong her suffering.

Until Monday afternoon / evening it did not seem like a huge emergency.

Return to “Health”