Is this cage suitable for rats?

Topics on cages, accessories, layouts, free ranging, and enrichment
bubby24

Is this cage suitable for rats?

Post by bubby24 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:26 am

Hiya everyone I’ve very new to this forum but sadly I’ve had a hamster pass away and I was wondering if his old cage is suitable to house rats , I want to do as much research as I can before purchasing or adopting as I want them to live the best life possible , any advice for new rat owners would also be appreciated 💗💗 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KCT-TRIPLE-L ... 635-2958-0. ( it’s been meshed up for a hamster )

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Is this cage suitable for rats?

Post by cyber ratty » Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:53 am

Hi, welcome to the forum! :D

Yes, the cage would just about be okay in terms of overall volume, however I'd suggest removing at least one of the trays so that the rats have room to climb vertically. The bars are too wide for young rats or small does, so it would have to remain meshed, and the floor space isn't great for a decent sized group of 4 - 5.

If you're able to sell it to the hamster community, then the coco 100 cage would be much better for rats as it has narrow bars, a good footprint, and enough height too. It's available here https://www.littlepetwarehouse.co.uk/pr ... x54cm.html, and you can use code FANCYRATS for a 10% discount.

My top 3 pieces of advice is to get your rats (3 to start with, then add a pair every 12 - 18 months) from a good NFRS breeder, feed them a mix from Rat Rations, and provide lots of in cage enrichment to keep them stimulated and active.

There are however lots of things to be aware of before committing to keeping rats - they need time with you and are much more interactive than hamsters are (think of them as tiny dogs rather than a caged pet), will have a smell just like any animal does, and if they need a vet then the bills can be quite high.

The Isamu channel on youtube has excellent advice, and there are some helpful articles here https://azulinerattery.wordpress.com/caring-for-rats/. Some of our articles on this forum are now perhaps a bit out of date as husbandry evolves over time, but many are still accurate and relevant.

Feel free to ask any questions you have on here, and I'll check in every few days to answer. :luck:

bubby24

Post by bubby24 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:09 am

Thank you for the reply , I’ve created posts on other rat forums and I’ve had responses saying my cage is fine however I’m unsure of how I’d go abouts removing a base as I wouldn’t have anything to attach the mesh on to . Unfortunately I have no breeders near me and I’ve searched for adoptions in my area and there has been none . As a last result I’ve had to rescue a pair from a pet shop ( I was told they were fighting in a group and had to be separated) so at the moment the cage is hosing my two little babies …. What would the best thing to do ? Try to Introduce another rat or pair or leave them as is ?

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:51 am

I hope you're enjoying having your rats, and that you've not had trouble interacting with them, but if you have, then adding a pair of tame well raised kittens from a good breeder asap will be a real help. (Young rats need some same age company, so you won't find a good breeder willing to home one on their own.)

Rats travel very well, including on public transport, so not being near a breeder shouldn't stop you getting some, although there may be a considerable wait. If you say roughly where you are then we can recommend some to get in touch with.

Return to “Habitat”