How much did I mess up buying this cage?

Topics on cages, accessories, layouts, free ranging, and enrichment
lunasrats

How much did I mess up buying this cage?

Post by lunasrats » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:56 pm

The dimensions are 52×52×113cm which is roughly 20.5×20.5×40.5 inches. I got it because my other option was the furat which seemed overall smaller but after buying it I realized rats need more horizontal space and not just vertical. It has 4 shelves which i could adjust to create 2 extra levels and Ill be freeroaming them at least 2 hours every night during the week and possibly more in the weekends when they warm up to me. Im still stressed that they'll be very unhappy but I cant get my money back and dont have another 200ish € to drop for the furat xl rn:/

(I forgot to mention, its for 2 females)

Broken_Doll

Re: How much did I mess up buying this cage?

Post by Broken_Doll » Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:58 am

Hi - that does seem a little tight on floor space but as you say, you can create some levels with shelving. What's the name of the cage?

I have the Little Friends tall chinchilla cage that came with my boys when I got them (51 x 60.5 floor space). To be honest I'd have preferred a wider/deeper cage but they seem okay in it at the moment. I have quite a few shelves, hanging tubes, cargo nets and hammocks so that increases the available space for them and reduces the chance of long falls. I'll probably sell this one in a few months once I've saved up for a new cage.

See how your girls get on with it, especially if they will have lots of free range time. Keep an eye out on local selling pages, Facebook marketplace etc. in case a bigger cage comes up near you at a decent price.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:41 am

See if you can lay the cage on its side (create a temporary base using cardboard or correx) - although 50cm height is also rather restrictive so long term you will need a better cage.

JD1956

Post by JD1956 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:30 am

For now this will have to suffice, but hopefully they won't feel too cramped in it. Maybe try to sell it to someone else and try to buy a bigger one. We all make mistakes at the beginning, but sooner or later it's a good idea to get a bigger one. No matter what you do, it might be too small. Good luck!

Return to “Habitat”