Wood branches from outside for the cage?

Topics on cages, accessories, layouts, free ranging, and enrichment
LPRattus0

Wood branches from outside for the cage?

Post by LPRattus0 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:04 pm

Hi there,

I got a small wooden branch from The Range for the cage and the girls really like it. I've been reading about gathering branches from outside for enrichment.

As I would love to remove a shelf or two in the cage and add more climbing areas. I've read about sterilising the wood ( and also only using certain types of wood) with boiling water. Then dry for 6plus months?

Has anyone done this? I would be happy to buy commercial branches but thought it would be cool to give them something from the outside for sensory?

I apologise if this is something that could cause harm. I am only at the researching stage.

What's worrying me is splinters or any bugs that may harm them... as wood from the shops seem to be smooth...

Thank you, LP

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Wood branches from outside for the cage?

Post by cyber ratty » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:58 pm

I've used branches cut from trees in my garden (so I know they haven't been sprayed with anything nasty), and I let them dry out for 6 months outside, then just gave them a scrub (boiling water is a fab idea) and put them in the cage. Silver birch and Maple are good because they don't have any sharp bits. Hazel would be nice if you have it.

I like to put them at an angle, going from one bottom corner to the opposite higher up, but if you attach bolts then you could fix them horizontally as long perches.

LPRattus0

Post by LPRattus0 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:28 am

Thank you so much Mary for your response. It has helped alot, as researching online can get full on after a while.

Now to find some silver birch, maple and yes I think I can get hazel but it is from a coppiced plant so branches are very straight. Which I can angle like you said.

LP

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:58 am

Fruit trees (apples, pears) are good too, sadly I don't have any of those.

LPRattus0

Post by LPRattus0 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:01 am

I buy apple sticks from the shop for them to gnaw on. But I have a apple tree on my allotement... maybe that's where my pruning could go instead of the compost bin?

Return to “Habitat”