shelves

Topics on cages, accessories, layouts, free ranging, and enrichment
LPRattus0

shelves

Post by LPRattus0 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:03 pm

This is a great read, thank you for writing this.

I am thinking of removing a shelf or two, but I am not sure. I have a 4 floor cage for 2girls. 2 full big shelves and 2 half shelves.

It looks like it gives them plenty of room to bop bop around. But I have been reading articles lately that some should be taken out to add more climbing stuff in.

I have two decent thick ropes from etsy and hammocks, and in theiddle of making tubes out of pringle boxes. But think more branches might be good and less shelves?

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: shelves

Post by cyber ratty » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:24 pm

You may find this article very helpful too.

The way I view shelves is that while an area of flat floor is beneficial, too much at the expense of other furnishings is a waste. Also, a flat shelf will just get weeed and pooed on, and do nothing for the rats. If you adapt a shelf with a deep tray and fill it with substrate then that's a positive asset, especially if the main floor is bioactive, and the looser substrate isn't therefore provided elsewhere.

I do think that the two floors and two half shelves add up to far more than is necessary, especially with only 2 rats. (Incidentally, rats do best in groups of 3 or more, so I recommend adding another pair asap, and then keep a group rolling forward by adding 2 or 3 every 12 - 15 months.) Branches and ropes make a much more interesting, challenging, and adaptable basic structure for the layout. Think about providing lots of different navigation routes, leading to lots of different types of destinations - e.g. hammock, basket, perch.

LPRattus0

Post by LPRattus0 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:20 pm

Hey Mary,

Thanks for your advice!
Everything you said in the first paragraph is what I have been researching which makes me super happy :D

And I agree with your advice about getting a couple more friends. I have been searching for a breeder but seem to have come to a bit of a struggle. As I found one in Wales a couple weeks back, but their website states they are not breeding anymore. The only places that seem to show up are pet shops or websites that dont seem to have been updated for awhile... My searching is coming to its limit as to what to type in the search bar.

Next step is making my own ropes, ramps and removing the shelf tomorrow.

Thank you for the post too, will be reading that a couple of times. It is a really interesting read.

LP

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:00 am

Rebel Rattery in Swansea are still breeding - contact details can be found on the NFRS list.

LPRattus0

Post by LPRattus0 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:16 pm

Cool, I will have a look at their website now. Do you know anyone near Chester?

LP

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:36 am

Not in Wales, but Kaiju Stud is in Wigan, they'd be worth contacting. Don't forget that rats travel very well on public transport, so if you don't drive, anyone on a suitable train line would be worth considering.

LPRattus0

Post by LPRattus0 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:36 am

Thanks Mary, will check them both out. The website of the Swansea one looks nice.

Return to “Habitat”