making a mix for old age/mixed age group

Topics on mixes, tailored diets, foods, supplements, methods, and problem eaters
Kesjo

making a mix for old age/mixed age group

Post by Kesjo » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:51 am

any thoughts on this? i have a 21 months old, he is showing his age and he is on ipakitine bacause of early signs of kidney problems.
the group is: 22 months old/16 months old/ 2x 6 months old males.

i feed them a wet meal in the morning, made with cooked carbs, veggies, some berries and some protein and oil or seeds.
one of the youngest male isn't very food orientated and stopped growing and was skinny, now he finally has a good weight. and they all enjoy the fresh food breakfast.

any ideas on complete fresh meals? how mucg carbs/veggies/protein etc?

i feed around 50gr freshfood between the 4 males, and about 30gr drymix scattered, and 20gr science selective in foraging toys to keep them active.

this is the mix i made on paper, waht do you think?

flaked barley1000gr
paddy rice 500gr
puffed millet 200gr
flaked maize 250gr
buckwheat 500gr

flaked peas 500gr
orlux eggfood 500gr
flaked soja 425gr

puffed wheat 150gr
noodles 500gr
white rice 500gr
rice cakes 250gr
cornflakes 300gr

linseed 200gr
hempseed 150gr
sesameseed 100gr

dried herbs/veggies 500gr
(seaweed/echinacea/dandelion/banana/carrot/tomato/broccoli/garlic/plantain)

the calculated protein is 12,4% and the fat 5,1%

Kesjo

Re: making a mix for old age/mixed age group

Post by Kesjo » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:39 pm

also, the total amount of ingredients in the protein section is very high, but the total protein amount in the mix is fine.
is this a problem?

i have never used eggfood in my drymix, would like to know if it doesn't turn to dust in the mix? can they use it?

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:26 am

Hi - sorry for the delayed reply, I've been rather busy during October, haven't been on the forum much, and missed your post completely.

Your mix ingredients look fine, and so long as you are combining the sections in the right proportions (as per the shunamite diet) then that'll be great for all your rats. Science selective however is very high in wheat which is not good for kidneys, so I'd stick to feeding only your mix.

Egg biscuit varies, and I believe some don't even have egg in, so read the packet carefully. I presume you'll have found out by now how well what you've got holds together.

Put the fresh meals together in roughly the same proportions as humans need - more veg than carbs, and more carbs than protein. Good proteins would be chicken, egg, fish, and carbs could be couscous, rice, potato, pasta, veg could be leafy greens, peppers, peas... anything you like really! :luck:

Kesjo

Post by Kesjo » Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:41 am

thank you! I have read that science selective is kidney friendly because of the soy. the wheat that is in it, is processed, so should be less hard on the kidneys . it has 0.4% Phosphorus.

the next mix i would like to use the hill's K/D dog kibble i have for them and some science selective, but only if possible and ok to use. still thinking about this.
maybe i can use the science selective in the basemix for about 50% ? would that be ok?

i made this mix by weight, not volume. next mix i will make by volume. i only don't understand how to calculate the total amount of protein and fat in the mix when i mix by volume.... when mixing by weight i put everything in a spreadsheet and i know excatly how much fat and protein is in the total mix....

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:38 am

If you use any SS, then feed it alongside your mix, not as part of the base, otherwise you'll be going over on the rest of the ingredients. SS is a 'complete' food, so the rest needs to also be complete without it.

To calculate the nutrition, weigh the scoop and calculate based on that figure.

Return to “Feeding”