The Shunamite diet

Topics on mixes, tailored diets, foods, supplements, methods, and problem eaters
LPRattus0

The Shunamite diet

Post by LPRattus0 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:46 pm

Hey guys,

I have been reading about making my own rat food. I've started making a mix but would like to adjust some ingredients. Just wanted to check if this info is still up to date.

Thanks, LP

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: The Shunamite diet

Post by cyber ratty » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:29 pm

The general principles are definitely still valid, but some of the specific ingredients or suppliers may have changed or no longer be available.

I had a quick scan through and spotted that PAH nuggets were listed as a suitable base food :o which they absolutely are not (I think their recipe changed, but it was a long time ago), so I've removed that to prevent anyone using them.

If you'd like to double check your mix recipe then feel free to post and I can have a look over it for you.

LPRattus0

Post by LPRattus0 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:45 pm

:lol: the PAH nuggets did shock me but I took note that the post was a while ago.

I would absolutely love it if you had time to look at the mix. It's abit worrying as something just doesn't feel right about it. They do seem to enjoy it except the seeds.

50-60% base mix (reggie rat mix?

20-25% processed grains ( cereal, pasta, egg noodles, brown rice)

5-10% protein (dog kibble which they don't like. This was a trail as I read about incorporating it. I would like to add dried water creatures but not sure where to get them from. Mealworm.

5-10% herb and veg (dried)

5% seed (Nyger , salflower, canary, hemp, millet, linseed) pumpkin seed by hand.

So far this is the mix I would like to try and get right.

I also feed mix veg everyday, and fruit couple times a week. And nuts in shells couple times month.
Also yogurt. There is more to the extras list but I could go on :roll:

George1999

Post by George1999 » Wed May 25, 2022 6:54 am

If your 50% foundation is vitamin fortified (commercial diet) and you're utilizing fortified items (breakfast cereal/dog kibble), I feel it's less vital to add supplementary vitamins. I believe it becomes much more significant when producing your own mix from scratch.

What we've been seeing from sites like Emiology, I believe, is a very reduced form of the Shunamite diet. Even the more extensive and in-depth information provided by Isamu Rat Care does not cover the entire extent of the diet.

I haven't bought or read [Alison Campbell's books], but from what I hear, a commercial basis (banana brunch, etc.) is not required for the Shunamite diet. It is not truly required.

Return to “Feeding”