Import a rat from Ukrain\EU

All other topics relating to rat care which have not been covered above
Nyavchina

Import a rat from Ukrain\EU

Post by Nyavchina » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:47 pm

Hello! I am from Ukraine, now I am in the Czech Republic because of the war. At the moment, we are waiting for the visa to be accepted through the Homes for Ukraine program. I have two rats that I want to take with me - I just can’t give it to someone forever, they are like a part of my family. But under the terms of importing rats into the UK, they will be put in quarantine for 4 months. The official GOV.UK website states that rats may not be quarantined if they have lived 4 months in an EU country. But there is nothing about how this can be proven. Has anyone encountered the import of rats from other countries? I really need help, because it is not clear how best to proceed. I could leave them to friends here and come back after 4 months to pick them up, but how to prove this officially, that rats lived in EU for 4 months?

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Import a rat from Ukrain\EU

Post by cyber ratty » Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:08 am

First of all, I'm sorry I didn't see your post sooner - the forum isn't very active anymore and so I don't check in that often.
Second, I am so very sorry about what you and your countrymen are facing, it is terrible beyond words.

With regards to your rats (so pleased you were able to bring them with you), I'm not sure how strict the authorities would be in terms of the proof needed - if they have markings, then maybe photographs would be sufficient. Otherwise, maybe a vet could microchip them for you?

Please let us know if you need any help where you are or once you reach the UK, e.g. with caging or food, etc.

Nyavchina

Post by Nyavchina » Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:48 pm

Thank you very much for the kind worlds and support! :love:

Right now I figured out, that UK needs a Certificate with check-ups for a rabies during 4 month, which will proof, that they don`t develop rabies and stay at EU for at least 4 month at the same time.
So currently I found a volunteer in the Czech Republic who will accommodate rats for this time and bring them to the vet for check-ups on rabies.
There`s also a chance, that I can bring rats with me, but in the phone call they (APHA adviser) told that I need to make sure with this by writing them an e-mail. But they are answering so long, that, I`m afraid it would be faster with a certificate. :D

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:07 pm

Glad you've got some support in place in case they do need to stay behind, but I hope you're able to bring them in with you. How old are your rats?
Where will you be located once you get to the UK?
There was a girl with her pet rats pictured in the press recently, are they a popular choice of pet in Ukraine?

Nyavchina

Post by Nyavchina » Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:18 pm

They are 8 and 9 mounth old albino girls :3 Named Olivka and Bini

We`ll be living in Edinburgh. My sister lives there, she`s also from Ukraine, but she`s been living there for a long time now

I don`t think they are very popular, and some people even don`t like them because of that steriotypes about rats x) But there`s a big rat owners community in Ukraine, and there`s also rat forums :3

Anna64

Post by Anna64 » Fri May 27, 2022 6:47 am

How are you holding up in Edinburgh? How did things go with importing the rats? How are the rats holding up? I hope everything is fine with all of you! :)

Return to “Other care”